The difference between an inlay and an onlay is the location of the repair. Inlay’s repair the center of the tooth. Whereas, onlay’s repair the cusps or points of the tooth.
Inlays and Onlays are sometimes considered a more conservative substitute to tooth repair in instances such as, full dental crowns. The benefits to getting an inlay or onlay are not only aesthetic but functional. They provide:
* Custom fit and a great alternative to a crown
* More difficult to discolor than resin filling
* A minimum amount of tooth material is removed
* Can make your teeth easier to clean because the fit is custom
* Seal the teeth better than direct composite fillings
* Can strengthen and stabilize your tooth
* Can protect weak areas of your teeth
Inlays and Onlays are a type of indirect dental restoration technique that treats the infected or damaged area in two steps: the first step is to prepare the inlay/onlay and the second step is to insert the inlay/onlay. Thus, inlays/onlays require 2 visits to complete.